Saturday, July 9, 2011

#18 Thing to Do in Dallas with Kids

Go to Fort Worth. I know it is not in Dallas, but it is close (ish). Since I am all about the free activities, I took the kids to the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing Western Currency Facility. There are only two places in the U.S. that print our money, in Fort Worth and in Washington D.C. Usually the tours are twice a day but in June and July there are every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, the tours are only Monday-Friday. The tour is about 45 minutes, excellent, and free. You get to see the designs of the money, the machines printing the money, and the machines cutting the money. The tour guides are wonderful and I learned so much!

For example, I have some $2 bills that my mom had given me when I was younger. Did you know that they do still print the $2 bill, but only at the Fort Worth facility and only every 3-5 years? I did not either!

No cell phones or cameras are allowed, so I only got this one photo as we were leaving...


Next stop in Fort Worth was Curly's Frozen Custard! Delicious!

Then onto the Fort Worth Museum that enthralled my children for hours! My friend from seminary Mary Spradlin (who has a museum membership and was able to get us in for free!) and her kids joined us and afterwards we all loved the tour of Arlington Heights United Methodist Church where Mary is the new Senior Pastor!

We had a great day in Fort Worth!

No comments: