Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sleep

Sleep. Oh, how I miss you. I used to be able to sleep for twelve hours. Straight. No problem. I do not know whether to blame my children or my age (I am only 35!), but sleep does not come so peacefully anymore. I do not seem to have any trouble falling asleep (when I finally fall into the bed), but every night I say aloud, "Why do I stay up so late?" The kids are usually all quiet by 8 pm (the goal is 7:30 pm) but there is something about being able to do whatever I want to do and whatever I need to do that makes me stay up and not want to go to sleep. The kids are asleep, now I can surf the internet, do the dishes, fold the clothes, watch a TV show, read a book. Why would I only want to do that for two hours when I could do it for four?

But, then, I am awake. It is dark outside, maybe 2 am or 3 am and there my 6 year old is standing right beside my side of the bed quietly saying, "Mommy, are you awake?" It might be that my 2 year old is screaming, "Mommy! Daddy!" at the top of his lungs. It might be that I woke up and I had to pee! I used to be able to sleep twelve hours straight, I promise, I really did.

Right now we are animal less in our home. We talk about getting a dog or a cat, but then, I would get even less sleep! Sleep, I love you and I miss you.

1 comment:

Vivie Bear said...

so true. so true. thanks for the laugh Kerry! :) patti