Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane memories

All day I have been glued to the hurricane coverage and thinking and praying for those in hurricane Ike's way. I grew up in Houston and hurricanes were exciting. I remember going to the grocery store to pick up our hurricane tracking map and following the hurricanes as they would come into the Gulf of Mexico. The big hurricane that I always think of is hurricane Alicia. I was 8 years old in August 1983 and we slept in the hallway. In my bedroom there was a big window and my Barbies were in my room but I was not allowed in my room to get my Barbies because of the big window. Whenever I think of Alicia I think of my Barbies...

I remember after the hurricane people telling stories after coming outside during the eye of the hurricane and how still and quiet it was. I doubt the validity of this story but I remember distinctly being told about a baby being snatched out of his mother's arms. Again, I don't think that story was true but as an 8 year old child that story terrified me.

As we await the landfall of Ike, I give thanks that mom sold her house in Seabrook! and pray for those who bought it...

No comments: