Monday, February 21, 2011

#7 Thing to Do in Dallas with Kids

Go to the Dallas Children's Theater. I have been trying to promote free (or close to it) things in my 52 things to do in Dallas with Kids and usually you do have to pay money to attend the Dallas Children's Theater but I won an email contest posted on facebook from North Texas Kids and received my tickets for free! I have also attended for free during the Dallas Public Libraries Summer Reading Program.


I booked the 4:30 pm showing on Sunday since naps would be finished and hopefully my 3 1/2 year old son would be ready to sit, watch, and listen for his first visit to the Dallas Children's Theater. The show was 70 minutes with no intermission and after 30 minutes he was getting very antsy, but with promises that it was almost over, just 5 more minutes, just 4 more minutes, etc., he made it through the entire show!

I had bought season tickets last year for myself and at the time my 5 year old daughter and enjoyed our girl time together, but this season we had chosen not to renew. When I purchased the season tickets we were in section B in the back of the theater because they were cheaper. For our free North Texas kids tickets, we were in the front, in section A. I am never going back to section B! The action seemed so close and my kids were more engaged. (Although there really is not a bad seat in the house). I also love that there is no assigned seating, you get to pick your own within a section which encourages you to get there early!

The play, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, was well done and enjoyed by both adults and the children. I was glad that there was no intermission because we did not have to have the discussion about buying candy from the concession stand. The concession stand and gift shop were not even open, thankfully. And the favorite activity of all was at the end of the show when all of the actors come to the lobby and autograph the programs.


No comments: