Monday, August 25, 2008

How I fell into a new job...

Well, I have been out of work since June and it has been okay. One thing I know for sure, being a stay-at-home mom is EXHAUSTING! A few weeks ago, I got a phone call from the wonderful Music Director at Oak Lawn United Methodist Church. When I was in seminary I worked at Oak Lawn UMC as an Intern and then as an Associate Pastor from summer 1999 - summer 2001. The Music Director was calling to ask if I was interested in a job. Well, I had finally made my peace with staying at home, and now here someone was calling about a job... Hmph!

I spoke with the Senior Pastor and was very intrigued and excited. They needed a part-time Director of Christian Education... I was only interested in part-time work because of my kiddos. So, we set up a meeting with the SPRC (staff parish relations committee, deals with the hiring and firing at the church) committee. The meeting went well, but I still felt uneasy. How did I know if this was from God?

I got a call in a few days from the person who was coordinating the church photo directory. Today was the last day to have your photo taken, could my family come down? I called Lee and he said he could meet us, so I got the kids all ready and headed to the church.

On my way I stopped at the Container Store to pick up something that was on hold for me. The employee that I went to immediately said that I looked familar... I introduced myself and she said, "you were at Oak Lawn!"
"Yes," I replied, "I was..."
"Oh, we miss you," she said...
Really? I randomly run into someone from Oak Lawn? I haven't run into someone from Oak Lawn in 7 years!

Was God speaking through her? In the car, seconds before, I had prayed that God would help me figure out if this was the right place for me to be and the right place for my family to be... Was God speaking through her?
Well, I am still not sure, was it coincidence or God? I figured that I should investigate this further... well, everything has been resolved. I have found childcare for the 3 days that I will work during the week. I have worshipped with the Oak Lawn family now for 2 Sundays and it is great to be back, I recognize a lot of faces! Madeleine enjoyed her Sunday School class and Everett even fell asleep in the nursery today!

God sure does have an interesting sense of timing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm kinda interested in what the deleted comment was.... is that wrong???

I love this story! I think God was thinking, "yes, I'm talking to YOU!"

Kerry Sumpter Smith said...

The deleted comment was spam! It said something nice like, how sweet, but when I clicked on who it was because I didn't recognize the name, it was a webpage selling stuff. I was spammed, on my blog! What has the world come too!

Anonymous said...

You know you've made it big when your blog is getting spammed.

Tiffany said...

Congrats on your new job Kerry. Talk about a sign from a above - 7 years and the lady remembers your impact at her Church!! HOpe to see you at a MHM or LHAECPTA event :0) Tiffany

Victoria is only a wee bit crazy said...

Yeah!! Tell me if you hear the planes.