Tuesday, October 26, 2010

36

So, when I turned 35 I was really sad because I was not sure if I would still be considered a young adult clergy in the United Methodist Church. This article shares that "in 1926, 20% of United Methodist elders were under the age of 35. By 2005, only 4.69% of elders were under the age of 35." I was ordained an elder in 2006. I was not sure if under 35 included 35 but I figured that either way, my getting older was hurting our United Methodist young adult clergy statistics! Young adult clergy definitely does not include those who are 36. I can now remember the good ol' days when I was considered young adult clergy...

36 does not seem that bad. I am now solidly in my mid 30s... I have lots of stuff, a nice house, a nice car, an iphone 4 (baby!). I have amazing relationships, with my husband, with my two beautiful kids, with my family, with my friends. I am so happy that I am able to work part-time as a pastor so that I can enjoy these precious years when my children are so young. I get to pick up my daughter from first grade every day! I am so blessed. I am in good health, next weekend I will be walking 60 miles with my mom for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.

And yet, there is so much more to look forward to. I feel like I have not got it all figured out yet. I say "yes" to too many things and to too many people. I can definitely improve in the area of self-care! I want to get more massages and relax more. I want to be less busy and worry less. I want to go on more trips and show our kids the world (or at least, you know, more of Texas). I want to feel less guilt, about everything. I want to walk more confidently, feel more sure of myself. I want to feel like I fit into my shoes more (and I am not quite sure what that means).

I look forward to feeling more comfortable in my own skin. These past years I have worked really hard at becoming more healthy, and as I struggle with eating healthy and exercising more, may I continue to keep my health in the forefront. May I continue to be thankful to God for all of the ways that I experience God's presence and joy in my life. May I continue to thank God every morning for the incredible gift that I have been given, simply by waking up each day!

No comments: