Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

I love the season of Lent. 4o days to think about renewal, 40 days to prepare for the Good News of Easter. I love the beginning of Lent, Ash Wednesday. A day when we get crosses on our foreheads and are told, "You are dust and to dust you shall return." A day to confront our mortality. The gift of life that we have is precious, and I appreciate the reminder that life is brief. May we enjoy each and every day to its fullest

These 40 days of Lent are an opportunity to think about Jesus. My friend the Rev. Dr. Frank Drenner asked in his blog, "What am I doing - or not doing - to strengthen my relationship with Jesus Christ." These are good words, how can I strengthen my relationship with Jesus Christ? What can I give up or take on this Lent? Some people give us chocolate or alcohol. The sacrifice of going without something that they love draws them to think about Jesus and his sacrifice for us. My senior pastor, Rev. Derrick Wright, advocates the Daniel fast during Lent (only vegetables and water).

I pray that we all will have a holy Lent, an opportunity to step back, to breathe in, to appreciate and give thanks for the gift of life that God has given us this day.

1 comment:

JennyB said...

I like the idea of taking up something for Lent. 40 days is just about the amount of time it takes to make a new habit.